Monday, February 15, 2010

A good week

Not a bad week this week with 127k done after the HM last weekend. Had a few easy runs early in the week and my attempt at a speed session was fairly average mainly because I was still sore from the half. 8 x 400 w/ 200 float done in 20:05 (4.8k) so not quick but it was my first real speed session in about 7 months. Was lapping in about 90s.

Thursday's 17k was great, running to netball to watch Noah while Kate played. Got to the court (8.5k) in 37:05 which I was happy with and then just an easy run home in 41:xx. This will be a regular session I think so I look forward to reducing that time in what will be a true tempo session.

Sat long run was a shocker. Worked all day and was on my feet for most of it. Arrived home just after 6pm and left about 6:30. I hadn't had a lot to eat but was trying to drink plenty of sustagen during the early stages. Ran to the track and found it had to get going and my stomach wasn't feeling great. As the sun went down I decided that I didn't really feel safe running around a public oval in the dark in a dodgy area so put the foot down and focused on knocking out 20k on the track then head home and off on a trail run. I was so exhausted that by the time I got home (26k) I knew I had to eat something. Sat down for 25 min and wolfed down some food and then headed out for another couple of hours. The last 21k wasn't my best running but I survived to finish the 47k in 4:26 (not including the break). Backed up with 10k easy the following day.

I want another 130k+ week this week then a taper for the 12hr of 30min a day. Will look to do a lot of circle running this week to get some last minute prep for the 12hr. I want a minimum of 100k during the 12hr and really I'd like to post 110k+, but I'll just try and keep moving and see what happens. Details for the week are below

1 comment:

trailblazer777 said...

Excellent ramp up week after the previous easy week. I think the half marathon race takes something out of us all, even ultra runners...so makes sense you are a bit flat speedwise the following week. Good to see some speed drills there with the 4.8k. Also good to see some family priorities inspired runs too with the 17k to netball, gives me ideas that one, guess its very Dean Karnazesish (my brother in USA sent me 50 marathons in 50 days for christmas)...Nice to see Kate running the 5k and playing netball too, she has snapped back into it quickly. Awesome effort from her! Maybe one day Jacob and Noah can race/train together, perhaps with Hannah and Sophie too.

Well done on the 47k, especially on getting back out there again after 26k...I think I felt the same on probably the same track (unsafe at night) one time last year...
Good tracks at Wellard and Baldivis, also Santich park in Munster. I have a 700m circuit at oval near our house...

Well done on Fantastic training week. keep at it. Keep periodizing (well timed easy weeks), and building the training momentum with weeks like that, and big improvement is yours... be smart, focused and ***patient***.