Monday, June 2, 2008

The Bunbury 50k was a few weeks ago and I must say that I really surprised myself. I was sceptical that I could improve too much on last years 4:09 because I hadn't done any speed work at all and had just returned from Cambodia where I hadn't done much running at all for 2 weeks.

Had a good run despite having serious stomach problems from about the 25k mark. I've become so used to eating during my long runs that trying to get through a marathon/50k on just gel doesn't work.

Went through 21.1k in 1:37, slowed a little towards the end of the marathon (due to stomach) and was passed by Phil Webb @ 37k so going through the 42.2k I was 3rd Male and 4th Overall. Came good after a Gu at 42k and overtook Phil Webb @ 44k never to see him again. Was in 2nd place until 47k when a 50k runner went scorching past me to snatch second with a 34min final 8k. I crossed the line in 4:02.12 to record a 7 min PB. Very happy with the run, although I remain convinced that if I had eaten something then I could have gone sub 4hr - Oh well there's always next year.

PS. I ran a marathon PB 3:21 during the race as well. My best 3 marathon times have been during Ultra's - 3:25 Bunbury 50k 2007, 3:25 40 miler 2008, 3:21 Bunbury 50k 2008.

3 comments:

The Wombat Warrior said...

Interesting that you have run your marathon PBs during the ultras. I wonder if this is because you are not focussed on the 42km and so are running more relaxed through this distacen towards the utlra...Run on :)

trailblazer777 said...

I think a marathon in the low 3's (sub 3.15) could be possible, although maybe you are too geared towards ultras although that can always be finetuned if you want to. You have come a long! way since doing a 10k at Rotto in 2004... I suspect the Cambodia trip gave the body a forced taper of sorts...

Excellent run at Bunbury!!!

Hunna said...

Good read, I will be revisiting it to look at it more closely when I conquer the marathon and want another challenge. Thanks.