Wednesday, June 11, 2008

My typical training week

'Typical' is changing at the moment, so I'll give you an idea of what my weeks will start to look like starting next week (after recovering properly from the 100k).

Mon AM - 20k PM - 6k
Tues AM - 12k (Tempo) PM - 6k
Wed AM - 15k (Tough hills approx 1:35 - Tempo)
Thur AM - 6k PM - Umpire training 3k (speed work + Strength/conditioning)
Fri AM - 6k
Sat - AM 50-70k Long Run (hills)
Sun - Boundary Umpire Football - 15k fartlek/threshold session
The aim is to not have any complete rest days although Thur/Fri are the times to recover before the run on Sat. I am still not entirely happy with this because I think too many of the weekly k's are coming from my long run so I might have to tweek it a little. Ideally I'd like a 60-70k long run and a 30k speed session as well (Maybe on the Tuesday?)

I umpire football which effectively gives me my speed work twice a week so I don't need any intervals/reps as such. Main Tempo run is Wed AM 15k, although it's probably a little far long but it's still a great session. Strength work is key to running Ultras, so things like push-ups, sit-ups, bridges, squats and lunges are included about twice a week.

The main factors with my training week is the Long Run and the total weekly k's. Based on my experience these two things play a huge role in be able to complete an Ultra well (key term is well, meaning to have a good race. Ultras can be done off less training but it will not be a 'good' race)
Training Benchmarks:
Goal Race Long Run Weekly k's (average, comfortably running)
42.2k 35k 60-70k
50k 40-45k 70-80k
40miles (64.4k) 50k 90-100k
50miles (80k) 50-60k 100-120k
100k 60-70k 120-140k
100miles (162k) 60-80k 140k+
24hrs (162k+) 60-80k 150-160k+

This should give you an idea of what to aim for in training. Long Runs with plateu at about 60-70k and after that it's really the weekly k's that take you further. Obviously people run these distance with less training, I'm certainly not saying it is impossible, but I believe the to have a 'good' race then these distances are a good guide. Personally I'm looking to enter into the final level, trying to move up to 160k/week for the Caboolture 24hr race in August. I'll post how my training in going every week.

1 comment:

trailblazer777 said...

typical week and especially the long run/weekly K's thing interesting to read. I think for marathon and distances below that, some more focused speedwork would assist if you are interested in that, but for ultras, looks pretty good, and I think most of us learnt something about training for ultras reading your post. I reckon hikes in the mountains plus cycling,swimming could be useful. Maybe look at ironman training schedules for ideas. Injury prevention could be important. All the best with ramping it up for the 24 hour race!