Monday, January 26, 2009

Weekly Washup

Another solid week and the build up continues with 151k logged this week. I've been running significantly faster in training than previous high mileage training blocks and I am really starting to notice the difference. The focus this week was a 50k run with Mick on Sat, I really wanted to get an idea of where I was at and see whether I could stay with him at a good pace. As a result I just took it easier on tuesday and Wednesday, clocking 49:00 and 1:34 respectively for my 10k trail and 20k road courses. This helped me feel a lot fresher throughout the week whereas last week was a tired slog.

Saturdays 50k started with a sleep in! I know how great is that the 6am start was good although the potential for a hot finish was there. Met at WAMC rooms and started along the river following the marathon course. At Canning Hwy went round the penisula run and then back to Canning Hwy, then followed the Marathon course again around past raffles. We were both running well and after about 20k ran into Lyn Barnard, ironically just after me saying that she burnt me off at Rotto 2 years ago. The 3 of us continued to run well and after a few k lyn called it quits and the pace picked up again.

Went through 36k in 2:44 and then 42k in 3:21 (Actually my second quickest marathon!). A guy from Sydney jumped on our tail for about a k and then went back to his hotel room and we continued on. It was starting to get warm and after dropping my pack off at the car at the 46k mark we went out for a final 4k out and back. with 2.2k to go we needed to run 10 minutes for a sub 4hr, I wasn't really interested in pushing and was content to just run comfortably all the way. Finished in 4:00.33 for what is now an unofficial PB, and ironically 1 sec quicker than six inch. I was stocked with the run as although I had a few flat spots, I was never really struggling with the pace and in the end felt comfortable. The following day was an easy 15k of rolling hills which felt fine after the first few k. Overall a very satisfying week and I am now aiming for 70k+ at the 6hr race.

No comments: