Sunday, April 5, 2009

Some Encouraging News!

Last week was a good week, Only 40k running but with some very positive results.

Run#1 was 20k at Perry Lakes, went out hard and was suffering by 14k with legs starting to hurt from the bend. I then slowed right down and the pain subsided considreably. Lesson learnt - Running slower reduces the effect of the bend on the legs and the pain can be managed!

Run#2 was another 20k at Perry Lakes in the opposite direction. I had purchased some 1/2 tight skins to try, wanted to see what effect they had on the legs. Went out solid with 1st 10k in 47 minutes, then walked a lap to refuel and ended up doing 12.2k in the first hour (with the walk lap). Picked it up and felt fine and gradually increased my pace until the end and clocked 46.54 for the 2nd 10k to go 1:36.54 for 20k track and my legs felt really good. Lesson Learnt - Skins reduce the effect of the bend on the legs.

Combine these 2 lessons and I'm getting more and more confident that by starting conservatively, and wearing the 1/2 tights I should be able to manage the 400mtr loops much better that at the 6hr.

Had a massage with Nathan Doig on Friday and it was painful, man it hurt! Problem was just some severly tight calfs and massage/stretching is the only thing to do. Haven't run since the session although I went for a 10k hilly walk (1:29.36) on Sat and a 32k walk yesterday and feel fine today. Yeah wanted to gte some time on my feet before the 24hr so after some advice from a trusted source I decided to do a long run but to walk instead of run! Walked from Mandurah to Rockingham on the rail trail which has consistent rolling hills. Strength and time on my feet were priorities and managed to finish in 4:55.34 and then walked another 5 minutes to make it an even 5hrs. Averaged 6.5k/hr which is great, really felt the legs working and my feet were getting a little sore towards the end which is good. Calf feels good today so will go for a 30min run this arvo and keep stretching like a madman.

Nate

1 comment:

trailblazer777 said...

Thats the spirit nathan its a problem solving thing just have to keep finding some strategies to beat this thing...that rail trail walk sounds interesting took me 3hrs 20 I think to run that at night...the 20k runs at Perry lakes, sounds cool good specificity in the training there...looks like the body station has got you,dave, and Raymond on their books now...go for it!