Monday, December 7, 2009

Weekly summary

What a week! Tried to semi-taper for the IM marathon and that went well, although I felt terrible at the beginning of the week but picked up towards the end. Managed 36k before the IM which I was happy with and would have got more however Friday got away from me and I didn't run.

Saturday was hot, hot, hot!!! Our swimmer (my Uncle) had a great swim with 54:xx and our cyclist was having a great ride for 160k then hit the wall big time and came in around 5:55. Now I mentioned it was hot and not long before I started I heard someone say it was 35 degrees - and it felt it too.

I had given up all time goals now and was simply looking to run how I felt. Started out at a comfortable pace going through 6k in 29:50, then I started to feel the heat and the legs felt so heavy. I felt like I'd been running hard for 2hrs and it wasn't even 1hr. I was throwing 2 cups of iced water on my head at every aid station to try to keep cool and it was working. But to give you an idea of the heat, I would be wet after every aid station but by the time i reached the next one (2k) I was pretty much dry!

Felt fantastic between 15k and 25k and put in some real solid k's and 3:20 was looking like a possibility, but then my stomach problems started. I was so hungry as I started just after 1pm and hadn't really had lunch. The unusual start time played havoc with my nutrition strategy so at 25k I decided to go into survival mode. I walked the aid stations and ensured I drank water, cola and had some food. This slowed me down a lot but I was still running well between aid stations. I was also beginning to feel the cumulative effect of the heat so drinking was my number one priority. I wanted to get through the run well but not spend a few days recovering.

I battled through to the 36k mark and was starting to feel a little better and with 6k to go I decided to lift the pace. I still stopped at one more aid station but only breifly and then I began my finishing run. I was flying over the last 3k or so and looking at my splits from the net I covered the last 6.2k in just over 28 minutes. I was very relieved to cross the finish line in 3:37 (3:39 including transition) and although thirsty, hungry and so hot, I actually felt pretty good. I ended up with the 13th fastest marathon time out of the 110 teams and we came 20th in 10:31, not a bad effort at all really.

I ran 7k the next day and felt good so will be back to training this week for six inch in 2 weeks time. All up I managed 85k this week.

2 comments:

Epi said...

Great result Nate,

All reports sounded like they were pretty horrific conditions, so that time and position is pretty impressive!

trailblazer777 said...

Well done! excellent result in those conditions. excellent team result too.
way to go!