Sunday, January 3, 2010

A New Year!

Well another year is here and with it comes a new set of challenges and goals. My main focus for the first 6 months of the year is to get some consistent training done in preparation for the National 24hr track championships in Brisbane on the 20th June.

This year I will do lots of racing with the WAMC (mainly shorter events) to give me some speed and racing practice. I think this will help strength and condition my body for the major goals I have for 2010. So what are those goals? Well they cover a broad range of distances
5k - Sub 19:00
10k - Sub 40:00
21.1k - Sub 84:00
42.2k - Sub 3hrs
100 mile trail - Sub 24hr
24hr track - 200k+

Major races on my calendar are as follows
Busselton half - Feb 7
40 Miler
Bunbury 50k
National 24hr (Brisbane)
Dwellingup 100 mile
Six Inch
This is just the major races, will be racing every second week or so with the WAMC for shorter races and may do some half's and marathons in their as well. Sub 3hr goal I hope to achieve at Bunbury 50k. Also trying to get a 3/6/12hr race started up late Feb at Coker Park. Was originally going to Coburg 6hr but decided that I really wanted something over 100k so the 12hr is the way to go.

Training wise I want to be more consistent this year and not look to push things to fast. Last year I ran over 2000k in the first 4 months of the year and only 2000k in the next 8 months, so injury took its toll. I just completed a 110k week with some quality sessions and will be looking to post 120k this week and probably hold that for the rest of January. I don't really want to go much past 150k/week before the 24hr. So long as I am getting some good long runs in (50k+) I should be fine. Much more training will be done on the track this year.

All in all very excited about this year. After a shocker in 2009 I have learnt a lot about myself and training. I feel better prepared to tackle the 24hr distance now (although I need some training) than last and I'm still convinced I have my best running ahead of me. Bring it on!

Nate

1 comment:

trailblazer777 said...

good to see some shorter distance goals as well...