Thursday, December 9, 2010

A need for speed

Had a bit of a breakthrough last night. Spur of the moment decision to do a 6k tempo last night. 10min warm up then 6k on a squarish course with 2 U-Turns. It was very windy and I knew I had to go out hard as half of the run would be directly into the wind, 1st k in 3:48 and 2k 7:43, wanted to really push the 2nd lap and the 4th K is always the slowest on this course as It is directly into the wind for most of it. 2nd 2k in 7:53 with the 4th k in about 3:59. Happy with that lap and really tried to hammer it home over the last lap, which I managed in 7:48. Total time was 23:24 for 6k (29sec PB) and 19:27 for 5k (26sec PB).

This was the run I really needed as after about 6 weeks of speed training I wasn't seeing the results I had expected. Turns out all I needed was to test myself during a rest period. Very confident now that I can go sub 19 in a 5k race with good conditions and these times will just continue to go down as I get more speed work in.

Very Happy
Nate

No comments: