Wednesday, December 8, 2010

It's been a while

Well after a few months absent, I decided it was time to update the blog. Training has been geared towards Six Inch for the last 5 months or so and I'm now in taper mode. I am feeling really good about how things have gone over the past few month training with some really solid sessions.

Speed work is becoming a big part of my training and after Rotto in October I decided I needed to work on my 5/10k speed. I am now doing 2 speed session per week, with 1 track session (400's) and also a tempo session (currently 6k @ 4min/k or less). I really notice the effects on the days after the speed work when I just don't have the zip that I usually do, but I know that come January, the effects will be seen.

Long runs have been consistent and generally much faster than previous years. Been hitting the trails hard for about 6 weeks with the highlight being a new PB for the Jarradale to North Dandalup run on the Munda Biddi. This is a very hilly 35k and I stopped the clock at 2:57 to knock 17 min off my previous PB. I am very nerrvous about Six Inch this year as I know I'm in sub 4hr form but very wary after last year. Six Inch is really all about the final 11k which will make or break your race. Last year I left the last aid station at 2:57, needing to run 1:03 for the last 11k to break 4hrs and I missed it by 11 minutes!! In the end I know my training has been good and I just need to pull it all together on the day.

2011 I'll be returning to the local races that really helped me develop as an Ultra runner. Speed will continue to be an important part of my training and I look forward to some good performances between 50-100k.

I'll post again after Six Inch, hopefully with good news

Nate

No comments: