Sunday, December 19, 2010

Six Inch 2010

Woke at 2:30am ready and raring to go. I must admit to not being totally focused on the race this year, with lots of work stuff on. I was over the training and talking and just wanted get out and start running. The massive increase in numbers this year meant that I had a few others who were looking at sub-4, namely Big Kev and Brett.

Heading up Goldmine hill I was feeling great. As usual I was passed by quite a few in the first few hundred meters of the climb, but I pulled them all back not long after as I worked into it. Summitted in just under 10 minutes and only about 15mtrs behind Kev and Brett so jumped on the 'sub 4 Bus' without too many issues. We ran together until whitakers where we were joined by Nathan Doig and Ray Lampard who almost got lost and decided to stick with us for a while.

The group set a cracking pace, going through 10.5k in 50:02 and not really slowing much. I was feeling good but had the sense that we were going a little too hard too early. Crossing Del Park I decided to easy off a little and Brett and Kev got a 15-20mtr lead on me. Running into Aid #1 I had a well thoughtout plan ditch my hand-held bottle and pick up a fresh one. This all took about 1 second and I managed to pass Kev and Brett and get about 100-200mtrs on them. I wasn't too fused as I knew they would catch me as I was really starting to pay the price for the early pace.

I decided to take it easy and try to recover. I started to have some stomach problems and was forced into the bush just before the conveyor belt for a toilet stop. I lost almost 3 minutes here but immediately felt better. I was 30 seconds down on last years time at the conveyor belt (2:17.30) and I started to get concerned that my sub 4 chances were gone. I decided that I would take it easy through Oakley Dam (a tough part of the course), focusing on running strong and not spending too much energy. I continued to run strong, ignoring my pace and found myself at Aid #2 in the same time as last year 2:58.30 but in much better shape. This is where the race begins.

The equation was simple run the last 11k in less than 1:01.30 and I'd go sub 4. I was nervous, knowing what happened last year, but i kept telling myself that I had saved myself for this section. Interestingly enough the gradual downhills were the toughest as I couldn't generate too much pace on them due to my legs being sore. I was climbing well and running the flats ok. I knew that if I just kept running, I'd be able to go very close to 4hrs but it was always going to be tight.

Arrived at Marrinup in 3:33 and I knew there was about 4.5ks to go and I had 27 minutes to do it. The mantra 'just keep running' was echoing through my head constantly as I thought about my push to the finish. I knew I had a kick but was very wary of going too soon and blowing up. Should I go 2k? 1.5k? No, I was confident in my pace and decided to save my kick for the last 1k. My left foot had been threatening to cramp for a few k's and I was a little concerned that if I went too early it would cramp and ruin my race.

I had been deliberately ignoring my watch for most of the last 11k and had a quick glance with 1k to go, this was the moment of truth. 3:54.40ish - I had 5:20 to make it under 4hrs. Great, I was confident as I picked up the pace for final stretch. As usual the last k goes on forever and the foot spasm became more and more frequent. The cramps would last only about a second or too but enough to keep me concerned. I was glad to emerge from the trail and started to sprint, not leaving anything to chance. Appoaching Del Park road the marshalls told me to stop for a car, like hell I was stopping!!!I motioned to the car to keep going as I sprinted up the road and around the back of him. That cost me at least a few seconds and made me really angry. 'If that damn car cost me a sub 4hr finish I won't be happy.' Put the foot down for the last 100mts and crossed the line in 3:59.33 to run 7th, running the last Km in about 4:50. I was spent, and knelt down by a BBQ to catch my breathe and you guessed it my foot cramped up Big time, but that was ok now - had finished.

Hard to express the relief of finally going sub 4 at Six Inch. I ran 4:00.34 in 2008 and was on target last year before really struggling and this year I finally managed to hold on despite spending too much in the first 23k. Incidently Kev and Brett went on to run 3:51 and 3:52 respectively.

My race was not perfect and I know I can go faster. The key for me is working on my 5/10k speed so that I can match it with the sub 3hr marathon crew. The race was a huge success with 80+ finishers and course records falling all over the place. I'll definitely be back next year, hoping to lower my time and maybe even dip under 3:50. Until then it's recovery time!!!

3 comments:

Epi said...

Congrats Nate,

Well deserved sub4 and I know you have plenty more speed in you if you choose to concentrate on that.

Hopefully I'll be back neck and neck with you next year

Epi

trailblazer777 said...

congratulations and welcome to the sub 4 hour hall of fame! Well deserved, and its excellent to see that barrier finally fall for you. All the best with finding the next level. Good to finish the year on a positive note. Well done!

trailblazer777 said...

Its good when you know the course well, you know when to push, and when to back off, and having that feel for how far to go at 35k and Marrinup came in handy for me too after the toughness around Oakley.