Thursday, January 6, 2011

A new Year

Well I've been getting back into training this week after a few weeks of little running (although 50hrs of paving has kept me in good shape!). Struggled on the first 1hr run of the year because it was so hot, but seemed to have hit my straps now heading towards the end of the first week. Speed sessions also kicked back in this week with a disasterous track session on Tuesday. Managed to get through 4 x 400 with a 200m float recover @ an average of about 85sec, up about 2-3 seconds from last time. Could only manage 2 x 400 after that before my stomach went and I headed home. Although I didn't complete the full session I'm still happy with it.

Tempo run last night was great. Haven't run hard since Six Inch and was not expecting much, however I managed to run 23:50 for my 6k course to go sub 4min/k. The course isn't real friendly (2k square loop, very windy and 2 U turns) so really with happy with that. I'll stick with 6k for the tempo next week before increasing to 8k the following week. Sub 4min/k will remain the target time.

Long run tomorrow will be 40k+ how much depends on how I'm feeling. My next major race will be the 40 miler in April so I have about 10 weeks of prep time but am keen to get back up to 50k Long runs ASAP.

I'm looking forward to a big year in 2011, not big in terms of distances, but rather consistency and quality performances. My goal races at this stage are:

40 Miler - April
Kep 75 - June
Dwellingup 50 Miler - September
Six Inch - December

Marathons, halfs and others races will fit in around these 4, but in the mean time there is lots of training to do.

Nate

2 comments:

Stephen Opie said...

Hi Nathan, looks like you have a full year ahead! I'm trying to run as much a I can at the moment, but because of time restrictions, have decided just to do 3km runs several times a week. The goal is to lose weight.

I've only run 8 so far since Christmas,and have managed to get my times down from a 'fast walk' at nearly 19 minutes to just over 15 minutes. Still lots of work to do. A question for you - to achieve faster times in the shorter distance, should I be running longer distances - say 5 or 6kms - to improve my endurance? Will that help me get the 3km time down?

Nate said...

Hi Stephen, good to here you are getting some good running done. Definitely the way to get quicker is to run longer and more consistently. If you can run 6k, then you'll be able to push harder on a 3k run and therefore go quicker. I'd suggest running according to time. Start with 20 minutes then 25, then 30 minutes. Maybe have a goal of 4x30 minutes runs per week in say 4 weeks.