Sunday, December 7, 2008

Six-Inch Prep

Started the Sharpening phase of my Six Inch prep this weekend with the aim of getting some speed in the legs. I opted for the Jarradale to Kingsbury rd run which is an out and back 30k with a couple of significant climbs. My PB for the course was 2:37 and I was confident that I could give this a shake.

Started well getting to the base of the valley (5k) in 24.07 and then started the climb up the other side. Next 5k was a little slower in 26:26 for a 10k split of 50:33, which was a little slower than I wanted. picked up the pace over the next 5k which is relatively flat and was surprised with a 22:40 5k split to give me 1:13.13 for the half way, I was on target to break 2:30.

I generally positive split by about 2 minutes on this course so I figured I was on target for a 2:28. Next 5k split was 22.30 and at this point I realised that I could be in for something special. Held a solid pace through the next 5k and was busy working out my finish. The last 5k is predominantly uphill and usually takes 27+minutes and I wanted to get there in 2hrs to give myself some breathing space for the sub 2:30. Arrived a the base of the valley in 1:57, leaving 33 minutes togo sub 2:30, which was now a certainty. The first few climbs out of the valley I just took it easy, trying not to build up the lactic acid and once over the last one I picked it up again. I knew that if I was quicker than 28 minutes I'd get a negative split as well so was focused on that. Arrived at the finish in 2:23.58 for a 14 minutes PB and a 2:30 negative split. I was stoked with the run and have gained a lot of confidence for 6-Inch - I firmly believe I can go under 4:10.

1 comment:

trailblazer777 said...

sizzle sizzle,sizzle HOT speedy running...way to go!!!!!