Monday, August 24, 2009

Another Solid Week

Continued to run 1hr a day Mon-Thur this week and was feeling strong throughout the runs. Rested on Friday and fronted up to Nanga at 6am Saturday unsure of what would happen. Rob was running the waterous loop (64k) and I was tagging along for an undefined distance. I hadn't run over 20k in 5 weeks and wasn't sure how long the body would hold up. Dave joined us for the first 20k before Bel picked him up and after Bel decided not to run 20k with us, my 40k backup plan was gone. If I continued with Rob I had to do the full 64k - no pikers option, no matter how long it took I'd have to finish.

I was feeling good at 20k so bit the bullet and continued on after a quick toilet stop and stretch. We weren't running fast (about 8 or 9k/hr) which helped me a lot as I found that pace very comfortable. Hit waterous camping ground (27k?) and quickly realised there was no water! I only had a handheld bottle which had about 150ml left and the next water was at Bidja Campsite @ 52k! Rob filled up at the creek but I resisted, didn't want to risk the bad water even though it was flowing quite fast. I was well hydrated and the rain and comfortable pace meant that sweating wasn't an issue.

We continued to plough away and ticked off little check points. not long before Bidja I decided to run ahead of Rob to get water as I had to make a 1k detour to the campsite. felt great to pick up the pace but then a blister started to make things interesting. After a quick pit stop Rob caught up and we ran together for another k or so before I felt good enough to push on again. Hit the detour spot, dropped my glove for rob, headed to the campsite for a good stretch and a drink. Was at the campsite for maybe 7 minutes then set off again in my quest to catch Rob. My glove was gone which told me he had passed that spot so I headed off after him. After 20 minutes or so of solid running I caught up and settled back into a nice comfortable pace.

At 8hr I left Rob again knowing that we only had a few k to go and time wise I needed to get home. Finished really strong in 8:13 with plenty left in the tank. Blister was my only real issue but they can be managed. All in all I went home feeling confident in my ability to run the 100 miler - and even pull out a sub 24hr time. With a couple of 6-8hr runs planned over the next few weeks I am confident of hitting the startline well prepared.

Nate

1 comment:

trailblazer777 said...

excellent comeback there with the 64k at Waterous!...its amazing how one can revise original limits while on the run and feeling ready to go further, Ive done that sort of thing a few times, for example my run to Wellard the other week...All the best with the 100 miler plans...sounds good...