Sunday, July 20, 2008

Run 'n' Rail

Well, I've finally christened the Perth to Mandurah rail line!
For my long run this week I decided to do a run that I'd been thinking of for a while, basically run to perth and catch the train home. I wanted about 6hrs (60k) so I had to add a few km at the start so left my house at 5:36pm on Friday (Yep just as that whopper of a storm hit!) and was completely drenched from head to toe within 20 minutes. Man it was tough because at this point I was running south rather than north, I wanted to get to Safety bay Rd and basically run onto the start of the freeway, not most direct route but I figured it would be close to 60k that way. Dave joined us for a few k the headed home and I was on my own. The rain stopped after about 1hr 30min and I started to dry off a little. My wet short were chaffing really bad so luckily I had some tights in my pack so I decided I needed to get naked on the freeway and change- it worked well.

I was making good pace, mainly because it was so cold which generally makes you go faster. The plan was to make the 11:45pm Train @ the underground station which would mean just over 6hrs of running. After 3hrs I was at armadale rd and I reaized that I could be in with a chance of catching the 11:15pm train as I was still feeling pretty good. The Mount Henry bridge in 4:02 and I worked out that would be at least 40-45k so still making good time but getting a little tired and my stomach was playing up a bit. Forward motion was the key so I just kept moving.

One of the big problems was that the storm had cleared giving way to a cloudless night which meant the temperature plummeted real quick so I had to keep moving. I knew from the Perth Marathon that Canning bridge meant 6 k till the Narrows and then you're basically home so I downed my caffiene gu and kept pushing. My stomach was gone, I really needed a toilet but nothing was available so I struggled, the 11:15pm train was not an option any more but i just kept moving forward albeit slowly. With 3k to go beofre the narrows I calculated that at my current pace I'd have a tough time making the 11:45pm train and I really didn't fancy hanging around the city for another 30 minutes until 12:15pm so I decided I had to run faster. I started to pick up the pace and eliminate those walk break. I made it to The Narrows in 5hr 44 minutes which left me about 20 minutes to get to the train station, do-able but not a certainty. Across the Narrows and onto the home stretch I was feeling really tired and as I pulled out of one of the underpasses I turned straight into a shin high puddle, "Give me a Break!" I yelled, my feet and lower legs were now soaking wet - AGAIN! No time to stop and I crossed the road powered up the hill into the city and made it to the underground station in a total time of 5:57.05, as I went down the escalator I heard the PA saying, "The next train to Mandurah leaves in 10 minutes." WoooHooo, I'd made it and with enough time to get a ticket and have a little sit down.

On the way home I figured the course was probably about 57-58k, so a little disappointed with the time, but it's only a best guess,without a gps it's hard to say exactly. arrived in Rockingham at about 12:30 and then just had to negotiate 2k home, which was not easy considering I'd cooled right down, but made it in 10:45 for a total run time of 6:08.50 - another 6hr+ run under the belt and a rest day on Saturday made for a very satisfied finish.

Next week I've go another friday night run, 6hr around a 800 mtr gravel/limestone track just near my house. Looking to try a few race strategies for the 24hr as well as some new foods. Hoping to go at least 65k, oh yeah, I'm starting at about 11:30pm so will also be good sleep deprivation training, by the time I go to bed I will have been up for around 24hrs - maybe more so it'll be tough - But I gotta get used to it. Lots of running to do before that though.

No comments: