Sunday, February 8, 2009

Feb week #1

AHHH a rest week. It was nice not having to drag myself out of bed every morning to go running and even nicer not having to go out for too long after work. Was feeling great on Tues so ended up doing 1 hr and then a good run Wed with 2hrs (24k). Basically still wanted to get good runs on Wed, Sat and Sun just cut down the k's in between.

Went down to Busso on Saturday morning for the 1/2 marathon. Thought it would be a good chance to run well being during a rest week and substituted the long run nicely. I wanted to go sub 1:30 again and was really looking forward to running with Mick and Michael. Started well and I wanted to stick with Mick as long as possible and then hold on in the later stages. Michael and another guy took off quick and a group of 5 runners formed the chase pack (myself included) 1st km in 3:48 and 2k in 7:34! I thought, "this is insane, I'm never gonna hold this pace!" but I decided to just roll the dice and hold on as long as possible. At 3k Myself and another guy dropped about 10 meters off the pack, but were still running strong. At the 5k turnaround I was about 20 meters off the pack and by 6k I was still feeling good but around 50mtrs behind. I decided to surge and try to get back on which I did at 7k then sat behind for a while. Kept thinking I would clip the guy in front so I ran out wide and suddenly found myself on Mick's shoulder. I decided to go to the front and do my bit and the next time I glance sideways I noticed I was alone. Going through the 10.5k turnaround I noticed I had a 20mtr lead. Ran strong over the next 5 and by the final turnaround had maybe 25mtrs on Mick so tried to surge again which went well for 3k then I started to have a few stomach issues and slower over the final 2k. I was running scared and managed to hold him off by about 40sec to come second and achieve a lifetime goal which was to break 4 min/km for a half (although it was 3:59/k I'll take it!). A little disappointed there were not prizes for 2nd/3rd considering there were about 100 spot prizes but I had an unexpected 4 min PB so I was happy.

Sunday's run went well with a nice 20k fairly comfortable to log 90k for the week. Looking forward to a good week this week although hopefully the scans on Wed ahow good news for my foot. No issues over the weekend so looks good, now we just wait and see.

1 comment:

trailblazer777 said...

legendary effort in the Half!, thats one to tell the grandkids about that one! Congratulations! well done!