Monday, February 16, 2009

Feb Week #2

Back into training this week and happy to log another 160k+ week. Was fairly sore from the half for the first few days but struggled through. Starting to really suffer time wise, just too much on outside of running that makes fitting in sessions really tough. Have resolved myself to the need for changes next week to reduce the stress.

Wednesdays 2hr run was possibly the toughest training run I've EVER done. When I arrived home @ 5pm it was 40 degrees, I had something on at Church @ 7:15 so needed to leave ASAP to get the session in. First few k's were ok and I had a quick (3 seconds) cold shower at Waikiki Beach. After this point things got tough. Temp hadn't dropped much and the breeze was hot, I was still running at a good pace - maybe 12.5k/hr. Another shower at Warnbro Beach (10k) and another at Port Kennedy Beach (13.5k). Once I moved away from the beach things got worse, temp rose, I was dehydrated and soon lost all kick in my legs - I was in survival mode. During the last few minutes I was deliberately running through any sprinklers I found to provide some relief. In the end I made it, barely and resolved never to do it again.

A solid 30k on Saturday morning before going to work, was comfortably under 5min/k so happy with that. Sunday was a 40k with no real time goal at all, just wanted to log the k's. 1:48 at halfway and managed a 1:37 on the return leg and felt stronger the longer I went. Really happy that the last hour was faster than any others. Total k's for the week 162k and closing in on the 1000k for the year. Bring on next week.

1 comment:

trailblazer777 said...

good to see you are going well, all the best with the time juggling. gotta love that heat...I battle it most days at work...good move to go for the showers and sprinklers...