Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Sharpening

Well, I have finished the base-bulding part of my training for Caboolture and although it was not as much as I'd planned, I'm still very happy with the stats:
As of last week I'd averaged 112.4k/week over 14 weeks. During this time I had a 7 minute PB @ the Bunbury 50k (4:02), a 3 hour+ PB @ the MB 100k (11:18) and a 10 minute PB at the Perth Marathon (3:10). With all the tapers that go with racing most of my training weeks were well over 112k. Off the top of my head they included 1 x 172k, 2 x 150k, 4? x 130k and 3? x 120k, just a rough guess. I started to get a few niggling injuries in the last 5 weeks or so which was likely caused by the rapid increase in training volume so was forced to back off a little.

With a solid base built, I am confident that I'm in the best shape of my life, which is evidenced by the PB's. Next phase is sharpening, refining the aerobic base with some threshold work and tempo runs. I know I'll have to walk during the 24hr race - It's part of my plan - but to do well I need to be comfortable running at a slighly quicker pace than I'm used to (this will offset the regular walk breaks). I'm actually really enjoying running faster and can feel my motivation coming back to get out the door and go running. Strenghth work is also playing a big part at the moment with the reduced k's, mainly core and lower body.

That's about it for, about 110k this week of quicker stuff mainly and then start reducing k's next week for the taper. Flights and accommodation are booked, entry is in, training is done all that remains is a few more runs and then I'll embark on the biggest challenge of my life so far - can't wait!

1 comment:

Hunna said...

Hi Nate,
ive been overseas for a month until last week and just checked into your blog again today to see how everything was going...catching up on what you wrote I was anxious to see you were having achilles problems in light of caboolture....then reading further along the posts I was able to breathe a sigh of relief as things seemed to be going really well with your training, maybe not as well as you might have wanted, but a brilliant effort from a novice/intermediate runner's perspective. Congrats on all the hard work