Thursday, March 19, 2009

A nice surprise

Logged onto the AURA website the other day and noticed that they had announced the awards winners for 2008. Male Ultra Runner of the Year - Martin Fryer (no surprise here), Female Ultra Runner of the Year - Kerry Bremner (no surprise). The surprise came next 2008 Rising Star - Nathan Fawkes! (big surprise). Now I knew that I'd had a good year, much better than 2007 when I also won the award, but wasn't really expecting to win it 2 years in a row!

Funny how these things happen just when you're feeling a little down. In 2007 I found out only days after a knee injury cut my 5 day (350k) Bibbulmun track run short and I was feeling terrible after some dissappointing results that year. Now I'm feeling dissappointed about the 6hr race and get the award again (the day before my brithday as well). I certainly don't run to get awards, I run to be the best I can be and reach my potential, but it's amazing how these small awards can give you a boost when you're low and renue your confidence.

1 comment:

trailblazer777 said...

Congratulations Nathan, and Happy Birthday! May the God-given stardom you have developed continue to rise just as the Christ has risen...