Monday, March 16, 2009

When things don't go to plan

What can I say, just a bad day really. Originally I booked in the 6hr race to be a practice run on the track for the 24hr in April. I wanted to see how my body would hold up on the surface. My race went to plan for the first 90 minutes churning out about 19k and feeling comfortable. Then the problems started, my inside leg began to get sore and it became obvious that it was suffering from the constant curve of the track. After 2hrs I began trying to compensate with my other leg and that too became quite sore. We changed direction after 3hrs but by this time it was too late and my legs were shot. I was demoralised as I knew I was running well, none of my injury concerns were an issue and despite running the same pace as my training runs my legs were gone after just 3hrs. To make matters worse I had worked my way into 2nd at the halfway point only to completely fall apart.

Walking the last 75 minutes was a time to take stock and try to process what had gone wrong. I could have pushed through the last hour but oculdn't see the value in it given the 24hr is just 5 weeks away.

So what have I learnt? Well, the biggest challenge in the 24hr is going to be the curve of the track. The race will change direction every 3hrs but it's no good if my legs can't get through 3hrs in one direction. I need to work on this - I'll begin doing at least 1 session per week at Perry Lakes (provided I can get in to use the track) and another session in Secret Harbour which has a 450mtr loop around the oval that has some good curves. If I can get used to running the bends then I'll perform better at the 24hr.

I'm trying to look for positives and I wouldn't change a thing if I had to do it again. I know that 13k/hr is sustainable for 4-6hrs and on a more familiar course I would've been able to hold it. I know now what to work on and I have 5 weeks to do it. I will also need to have a detailed plan of projected lap times and distance calculations for the 24hr so that I can go slower and be confident of achieving my goal.

1 comment:

trailblazer777 said...

well done!
commiserations on the problems you experienced, but looks like your recon run was a useful learning experience, and you have identified an area requiring further attention, all the best with getting that right...way to go!