Sunday, November 8, 2009

Back up to 3 figures

Hit 100k this week for the first time in about 6 weeks and it feels good, although quite tiring. Started running in the mornings this week which basically means getting up at 4:30, running for and hour then getting ready for work and leaving at 6:45. It's quite tough but feels good to get the run done early. Trying to get to bed by 8:30 to get some decent sleep.

Hour runs were slower than previous week due to AM starts and taking 20 min or so to warm up, generally negative split though so that was nice. Had my first speed session on Wednesday evening - 2k warm up - 4k in 15:45 - 2k warm down. Not too sure on the accuracy of the course, although I think the laps are 2k but maybe my halfway split is not quite acurate?

Long run was the Kwinana 32k course, felt sluggish for the first 7k and stomach couldn't seem to settle after the weetbix. Picked it up between 7 and 12, reaching 12k in 56:40ish then headed out for the 8k loop. Within 1k I was vomiting on the side of the road as the remainder of the weetbix came up and out. It seems that as I haven't run on a full stomach in about 2 months I can't really handle it any more. Needless to say I eased off for a while and managed to complete the 8k loop in 39:30ish so lost a lot of time here. This meant that I had to run sub 55min for the final 12k to break 2:30 which was my goal. That was going to be tough as it was warming up and meant I needed to negative split this section. Had my first Gu and put my head down, pushing the entire way and eventually stopping the clock at 2:29.56. Very happy to go under 32 for this as I know I'm not in the best form but this showed that I'm still travelling ok. Warmed down with a slow 4k with Tiko.

This week will continue to run for an hour in the morning, except Wed when I'll do a fast 20k in the evening to get some better heat training for the Ironman. Long Run will be trail to get some Six Inch training and addition strength. Also running the Peninsula 10k on Sunday and hoping for somewhere around 40min although unsure as it will be the day after a long run.

All in All feeling quite good about things and hey the Baby could come at any time now so that is very exciting.

Nate

2 comments:

trailblazer777 said...

Impressive! way to go...I'm a fan of no eating before running, but then again I dont do serious ultra races, although metering is bit that way...reckon the physiology of serious ultras (more than 8 hours) is a bit different to fast marathons though maybe?...My wife K is of course very keen to hear about the Baby...I might be at the Peninsula run too...depends how I feel after working til midnight the night before.

Nate said...

Would be good to see you on Sunday, although I have to be at a Church service at 9:30 so won't be able to hang around too much.