Thursday, November 19, 2009

Speed Sessions

Finally got out for my first speed session in about 8 weeks and I decided to get serious and take a gps and a can of spray paint to mark out some acurate 1k and 2k markers. I have been using a rough 1k course for a while but after gps measuring it turned out to be only 910mtrs! All those sub 3:30 1k reps I was doing 2 months ago were actually closer to 3:40, which is significantly slower. My 2k course was also short by about 90mts. Dissaponting but at least I now have an acurate course to train with.

Howling winds and it being my first session in a while prevented fast time with my 4 x 1k times being 3:48, 3:56, 3:47, 4:01. On the second and 4th k there was about 700mtrs running straight into the wind so that affect times. With such a slow start I look forward to seeing these times drop significantly over the next few months.

1 comment:

trailblazer777 said...

good move to check the course measurement. I think my 800m course at the local park maybe 50-100m short too. sounds like the headwind was costing you about 10 seconds per 1k rep. My best 1k reps this year have been 3.44 (John Gilmour 10k race on fast! track), and 3.48 at Santich Park. All the best with the new baby, Ironman, 6 inch plans.